Businesses that deal with perishable goods can find shipping a delicate process. A flaw when sending out the goods can cause perishable items to spoil in transit. Furthermore, the business will have to incur huge losses.
Does your business deal with perishable goods? Worry not and continue reading.
In this blog, you are going to see vital tips that can help you ensure your perishable goods arrive at their destination safe and sound.
Let’s dive in.
1. Choose the Right Shipping Method
When shipping perishable goods, there are a number of different options available to you like:
- Via Road
- Via Ocean
- Via Air
Obviously, every business, including yours, needs goods to reach its destination without perishing. While some goods can stay longer without perishing, some goods can get spoilt in transit if it takes too long to arrive at the destination. Hence, you need to choose the shipping method wisely according to your goods so that they reach intact.
In case you find it difficult to decide, you could take advice from the logistics company that’s dealing with the shipment.
2. Pack the Goods Properly
Be it any goods, you should be mindful of the packing to ensure your goods do not get any damage. This is especially vital when it comes to shipping perishable goods. Even a teeny weeny fault in the packing can spoil your items, which is the last thing you would want.
Hence, make sure your packing or the container you use is not too big or too small for your goods. When it’s the former, the goods move too often inside the packing and the latter suffocates your goods, resulting in damage.
Also, apply appropriate labels on your goods like ‘Perishable Goods’ so that your freight forwarders will handle them with care.
3. Consider the Temperature When Packing
Considering the temperature is vital to keep your goods in good condition. Although logistics companies transport perishables in reefer containers, which come with the facility to adjust the temperature as per the requirement, it’s vital to ensure your packing is optimized for climate conditions for extra safety.
For instance, you could use ice packs if your goods must not go warm. Ice packs can control the temperature and ensures the items don’t go above 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Now, if you need to keep it frozen, using dry ice would be the best idea to ensure your goods won’t perish. It’s also recommended to use insulation packing like bubble wrap or Styrofoam since they are effective in controlling temperature.
4. Partner With a Reputed Logistics Company
When you have a well-known and expert logistics partner to take care of the shipping, you can sit back and relax because they will do all the heavy lifting. Therefore, it’s crucial that you choose the ideal logistics company.
Are you wondering how can you know whether the logistics company you have shortlisted is good?
Don’t worry. By ensuring the below-given points, you can rest assured that you are partnering with the right logistics company.
- They provide multiple modes of freight transportation – Land, ocean, and air.
- They use reefer containers since they boast the option to set the desired temperature.
- They have been providing logistics services for quite a while now. If they are a start-up, make sure their service is top-notch by enquiring about them.
- They have carved a good reputation in the industry.
- They use various technologies and modern equipment for their warehouse and logistics processes.
- They have an expert team, splendid infrastructure, and professional processes.
- They are specialized in shipping perishable goods.
- They provide high-quality packing.
- They have a successful track record. You could enquire about this with the businesses who are currently dealing with them or who had dealt with them earlier.
Also, when you ship goods, you must be acquainted with the laws because shipping can get interrupted if your goods do not comply with the guidelines. And, logistics companies always update their knowledge with respect to shipping laws. That’s another advantage here.
They could also suggest the best shipping method and the packing you should use for your perishable goods.
Long story short, sending out perishable goods isn’t like sending other goods. If you:
- Fail to choose the right shipping method according to the distance and urgency,
- Do not pack the goods according to their type,
- Do not consider the temperature when packing,
- Most importantly, do not approach an expert logistics partner,
things can go south. So the next time when you want to ship perishable goods, keep these in your mind.
Maybe, you could partner with Freighbrid next time! Freighbrid is a multimodal logistics company in Dubai that has broad know-how in shipping goods seamlessly, including perishable goods. With an expert workforce, innovative equipment, professional warehouse management, and automated processes, Freighbrid is the best logistics company in Dubai you could sign up with. To learn how we pack and send perishable goods, feel free to give us a call.